Tuesday, July 4, 2017

First Day of Rec Camp

So, Rec Camp started yesterday. I have not been feeling very enthused about Rec Camp this year. It is a huge commitment with a lot of work involved, and what I really wanted this summer was to relax and recover from the awful school year. I eventually compromised and said I'd help organize Rec Camp but take 3 weeks off in the middle.
On the first day, though, once the kids started appearing, I realized how much I love Rec Camp! It is a day camp like no other. Ruddy was there for the first time, and he seemed to be having a lot of fun. We had about half kids that have been there in the past, and half new kids.
At Rec Camp every camper has a 1:1 counselor. Being one of the organizers, I don't have a 1:1 kid, and I spend most of my time just floating around and making sure everything is going smoothly. At one point, though, one of the new kids, a 5-year-old named Liam, went "number 2" and asked his 1:1 counselor to help wipe his butt. The teenage counselor was squeamish about that, so I went in to do the, um, duty.
When I went into the bathroom, Liam was still sitting on the toilet, so I waited outside the stall while we had this conversation.
Liam: "Can you go get a book and read it aloud to me?"
Me: "I can't leave you alone in here. Does your mom read to you when you're going poop?"
Liam: "I don't know. I've never pooped for this long before. I must have eaten a lot. When we were driving on vacation, I had to pee and poop so many times, my mom said next time I'll have to wear a diaper! Isn't that funny? Sometimes I get diarrhea! One time I had diarrhea coming out of my mouth and my other place!"
Me: "When it comes out of your mouth, that is called throwing up."
Liam: "Oh, I was throwing up and had diarrhea at the same time!"
(Sound of something dropping in water)
Liam: "Did you hear that? Did you hear some plopping sounds?"
Me: "Yes I did!"
Liam: "That was just my poop coming out!"
Eventually the enthusiastic little chatterbox finished up, I helped him wipe his little butt, and we went on about our business. The teenage counselor who was working with Liam thanked me profusely for doing the dirty work.
Me: "When you've wiped as many butts as I have, it is no big deal anymore!"
Teenage counselor: "I don't think I'm going to get to that point. I'm happy just wiping my own butt."
Gotta love Rec Camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?