Monday, February 18, 2019

Green Eggs And Ham Reading Game

It is almost time for Dr. Seuss's birthday, so I am sharing one of the activities I did last year with my reading groups. I have seen different versions of this game on Pinterest and other places many times, but I enjoyed making my own.

First, I used construction paper to make green eggs and ham. One of the paras made a version earlier by using the flower shaped die cut as the egg and putting a green circle in the middle, but I didn't like them so much. So for the next batch, I just free-handed blob shapes and added circles as the yolks. Then, I wrote a reading word on the yolk of each of the eggs. What I really wanted to do was laminate them first and then use a wet erase or dry erase marker to write the words, so that I could use it year after year and customize it for the reading words of whatever group was using it. But the stupid laminator was broken as usual. Maybe this year I'll try again.


Anyways, my last step was to add Dr. Seuss stickers to the back sides of some of the eggs, I added a flipper from the dollar store, and there was my game!


To play, we spread the eggs, sunny side up, on the table. There were two ways to do it. Either the students could choose any egg they wanted to read, or the teacher could say a specific word and the student would have to find it. Either way, after they found and/or read the word, they got to flip the egg with the flipper. If there was a Dr. Seuss sticker on the other side, they got to take another turn! The students loved this game. Even the ones who refuse to do school work were willing to play it.

I always like adding a little fun to their day!









No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?